<

Friday, May 05, 2006

Huh...???

And they say you can't believe everything you read these days.

Noticed this on CNN this morning: "Nicole Richie: 'I'm too thin.'"

Preposterous. She's too what?

Yes, right there between an article about possible peace in Darfur, Rep. Kennedy's "Ambien Accident," and today's oil prices is a snippet about all 82, burrito-eating pounds of Ms Richie, who "doesn't know what she weighs right now."

Riiiiight. And if she's really, truly, actually female and really, truly, actually human, that's a crock of you-know-what. "I have no idea what I weigh right now."

Apparently when under stress, she loses her appetite. She can't eat, she drops pounds, she damages legions of delicate, impressionably young girls who see her shrink and decide they need to shrink, too, she apologizes, she attempts to gain weight on her own. By eating her own weight in mexican food. Apparently that didn't work.

That's where I say "HUH...?" Let's imagine this is me. Let's imagine I go through a horrific breakup (been there), I'm depressed and distracted and unable to choke down my carrot sticks (been there, actually...I found the only thing I could stomach in a time of stress was chai tea, lite on the tea, heavy on the milk and honey...must have had 6 cups a day)...I drop 40 pounds (my hair becomes the heaviest part of my body, my lovely feminine "charms" vanish entirely) and when I finally tire of the incessant "Eating disorder! Eating disorder!" accusations, I decide to take matters into my own hands. I'll force the food down. I'll eat Taco Del Mar and Taco Del Mar only, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack (sort of the reverse Subway-Jared trick). Now, if this were me, I'd magically see the problem solved. That lumpy area between butt and thigh would be thrilled to come back home, the squishy hips would reappear, and the strange phenomenon whereby each time I gain weight it finds a new, strange, wonderful place to settle where it never existed previously would definitely happen...in short: if I eat nothing but burritos in an unabashed attempt to GAIN WEIGHT it's a sure thing. I'd win every time.

Apparently didn't happen quite like that for Nic. Her boobs are still MIA. Her collarbone is still casting spooky shadows. Her elbows are still thicker than her biceps...

So she's seeking medical attention. The nutritionist's verdict is that if this is NOT an eating disorder, with some proper calories she should see some weight reappear. If it is, in fact, anorexia...well I'd imagine CNN will keep me well in the loop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home