<

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

guess who's number 1....

According to my recent junk mail I ended up subscribed to the "Ask Men" email newsletter (as far as I can tell, askmen.com aims to be the online Maxim equivalent -- i'm just not sure a MAN has ever even cruised the site, and without "Hometown Hotties" to generate interest, I think it's a bunch of women writing about what they imagine fashion-conscious men might read...correct me if I'm wrong). Interestingly, this week's Ask Men spam contribution caught my eye:

"Top 99 Most Desireable Women of 2006: The most dreamed about...the most asked about...the most desireable women of the year."

Wow, neat!

Lists are great: whether it's the AFI's tribute to "the greatest songs in film" or VH1 cranking out the Worst Anything Ever, or Billy Bush hosting some prime time fluff piece about the greatest TV commercials in history, I always want to know what takes the top spot. So this got me curious. Who are the top 99 women of the year according to Ask Men?

And how do we know that number 87, for instance, is REALLY all that much more desireable than woman 93? And who decides who makes the list? Who's dreaming about these women? Why are there women on the list I've never heard of? And isn't it conceivable that just because certain women recurred in a lot of different dreams they might not all be GOOD dreams? Sure, I may have had a dream that I was in a high-speed chase trying to avoid Misha Barton weilding an AK-47 and driving a station wagon, but if I were a man and had that same dream about her, would that boost her up on the list? It just says "Most dreamed about," not "Most dreamed about in an 'under 17 not admitted without an adult' way."

And how is Dallas Howard possibly more desireable than Gabrielle Union?????

At any rate, I made it all the way through the list...number 1 was no huge surprise. Number 99 was Anna Kournikova (down from the 52 poll position last year, apparently....so, does that mean that almost HALF as many men dreamt about her this year as last year? Or only half as many bothered to "ask men" about her this time around?)

And why is Jessica Simpson higher on the list than just about anybody? For that matter, why is Jaime Pressly on this list at all? Do men actually dream about Piper Perabo? And how do the List Powers That Be decide that one Brazillian supermodel model is hotter than another Brazillian supermodel?

In the end I decided that 99 women was perhaps too large a list...It left too many questions. To list the top 10 most desireable women, that seems more reasonable...but 100? Doesn't that just about cover every major actress, recording artist, sitcome star and up-and-coming intern we've even heard of this year? At any rate, the list accomplished two things:


1) Inspired me to pluck my eyebrows with renewed artistic vigor

and

2) Propelled me to Google Sophia Vergara. The girl has fantastic...hair.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually going to vouch for Askmen and say that I've read it on and off for years and it's way smarter than either Maxim or FHM or any of the other "laddie" mags out there. In fact, I'll say it's given me some astoundingly good advice on the opposite sex. Go directly to the site and check out the "Doc Love" archive.

9:03 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

small fact i left unmentioned: since reading the list, i'm absolutely hooked on the site...

as a chick, I wasn't sure how accurate their take was on a lot of things male (The Player: How to Score a Barmaid, for example), but I'm fan of their Mr Mafioso power & money guy...

as for Doc Love...I wanna know more about "Womanese," this secret language I apparently speak!

So, with your endorsement, I'll feel a little less guilty about my guilty pleasure.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doc Love really pisses off a lot of women, he apparently gets a lot of angry letters from them. I'd love to see what you think.

But their email newsletter isn't as good as the actual site, I agree.

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what gives? They have a "Canadian edition". It keeps redirecting me to some other stuff. Hmph.

But sophia... she's hot. Definitely top 100, eyebrows and all.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now I need to spend the next 24 hours reading every page of askmen.com - thanks.

just found your blog. it's bloggerific.

hey... heather, you, with the sexy avatar... where are you in that top 99 list?

9:46 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

So T -

I think Doc Love's pretty on the spot, actually - I probably spent TOO much of my morning cruising through the "so you're dating a traditional girl" and "what do you do about the EX?" archives - he actually seems to have a pretty reasonable handle on the whole relationship game...

My only asterisk to that is that he seems to think women are a little more complicated than we really are (or, was that just his "Interest Level" percentage babble getting a little too mathematical for me...).

I still maintain that we're really NOT particularly complex creatures that require a $99 love manual to figure out - either we like ya or we don't, either we're having fun or we're not, either we're down for the long haul or we're just killin time...not really so different from the gentlemen...there was a particularly lame "guidebook" out for chicks a few years ago called:

"He's Just Not That Into You"
It was apparently GROUNDBREAKING in its approach to dealing with "the guy that doesn't call back." To me, it was about as elementary as they come: if the man likes ya, he'll call you to spend time together. If he doesn't: he won't.

Women work the same way as far as I'm concerend: you can dissect things and make them complicated and analyze percentages, or you can just decide, "hey, I like you! let's kill time together!"

BUT, the doc seemed to have a pretty logical, straight-forward response to almost all of the questions people asked him...no feathers ruffled over here!

Raincouver - damn, you're missin out! They actually managed to find GOOD pictures of all 99 of 'em too...now that I think about it, what does that say about Canadian men if you require an ENTIRELY different men's zine...fascinating...

jonb - aw, ya make me blush! guess i came in at 136, not quite high enough to make the cut ;)

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap, Misha Barton haunts your dreams too? You ever have the one where she takes your drink at Starbucks? That Bitch!

10:56 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

she terrifies me, frankly! She's never taken my drink, but she and Michael Jackson (recurring bad dream character) chased me through my grandmother's house, then out onto the open road...she drove a station wagon, I drove grandma's buick...

TERRIFYING.

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to read Askmen all the time, but Doc Love pissed me off with all that 'Interest Level' nonsense. Love is not a game of chess, you can't approach it in such a systematic, clinical fashion - but then it wouldn't be as fun if we didn't play games with each other, would it?

12:58 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

Call me simple, but I was never good at the "games." Always a terrible flirt, inept at "leading anyone on" or otherwise working an angle...that's probably why the "Interest Level" was a little bizarre to me...and yep, you're right, clinical and strategic...trouble is, the Doc's probably right...interest probably does ebb, flow, increase, decrease...tank altogether...but that makes it too mathematical. For me, I'll take a "yes" or a "No." Either I like the guy or I don't...

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes Doc Love tries to hard to turn things into a hard science, but overall I think his advice is sound. It's by no means universal though. For example I remember he had some rule about not calling a girl until a week passed. Maybe that works most places, but in a highly-populated, fast-moving place like New York, people have social-ADD, a week here is like a month other places (they don't call it a New York Minute for nothing). Call a girl a week after getting her number here and you might as well forget about it, she's already moved on.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and heather, i do agree that a $99 guidebook is a bit too much (especially since the articles are more than enough), but you'd be surprised if you know how clueless guys are or how complicated women are to them. There's a reason why so many older guys score hot younger women: that's the age when they finally figure out what the hell they're doing! :P

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home