<

Friday, June 16, 2006

people for the ethical treatment of lobsters?

I KNEW there was a reason I avoided super-yuppie Whole Foods: They're a bunch of illogical pansies.

Apparently the fact that Whole Foods is no longer selling live lobsers and crabs is newsworthy...fine, fine, fine. Apparently they're the "next generation's big-box retailer with a conscience." Good for them and their fantastic bacon (I hear it's fantastic...everyone says it's fantastic. In fact, people in my neck-of-the-woods can't even hear the word "whole" and "food" in the same sentence without launching into a sort of google-eyed state of fantastic-bacon-worship).

I can appreciate a certain degree of..."crustacean sensitivity" (i like watching crabs crawl around at the beach as much as the next girl and generally opt to toss them into the tide pools instead of let a kid with a chunk of driftwood bludgeon the poor things) but not when the cause is spearheaded by DITZES. Yes, ditzes.

Maybe it's the consummate literature student in me, but I tend to expect people (or well-intentioned yuppie foodstores with fantastic bacon) to substantiate an argument with reasonable evidence. I don't care if it's a beer commercial or a doctoral thesis...if you're making a point, back it up.

And try not to sound like a ditz.

Back in the middle school days, I had a bunch of girls over for a sleep-over, and the next morning, my dad made all of us a fantastic breakfast. I passed one of my friends a plate of dad's fantastic bacon and she looked absolutely. horrified. "I can't eat bacon...those poor little pigs!!!" So we passed her a plate of grilled ham. "Ooh, yummy, thanks!" said the friend, and ate three pieces.

This Whole Foods Social Conscience rearing it's head is the commercial equivalent to bacon versus ham (and i'm becoming conscious of the fact that i've never written the word BACON so many times in my life...)

The basic premise of the "we won't sell live crustaceans" argument is that it's cruel to the animals. Inhumane. They're kept in small lobster-dungeons (my favorite part of the family trips to Red Lobster as a kid--aside from the hush puppies which you CANNOT get on the west coast--was watching the little lobsters in the tanks writhe all over each other), then *GASP!* dropped into boiling water once their time has come.

But here's the kicker - this was the statement that earned the "ditz" label:

According to Fox News, a spokesman for PETA announced that they were thrilled with Whole Foods' decision because:

"The ways that lobsters are treated would warrant felony cruelty to animals charges if they were dogs or cats."

Well if that's the way you feel, People for the Ethical Treatment of Lobsters, I expect a likewise lofty crusade tomorrow against ground beef, your fantastic bacon, chicken breasts (free range or otherwise, because let's face it, the chickens died in the end, too, in a way that I'm certain would NOT be acceptable for Rex or Scruffy or whomever), salmon, giblets from ANY animal...etc etc etc.

FURTHERMORE, Whole Foods will continue to sell "frozen lobster products." Because it's difficult to watch lobsters writhe in your own stores knowing they're destined for someone's pot of boiling water, but if a processing plant somewhere in Connecticut stores them, slaughters them, disassembles them, and ships them to your store, you can feel warm and fuzzy and equitable about the entire process.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another reason to avoid them is that they are the most expensive food selling store in the world

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw this on the news last night and laughed my arse off. how hypercritical that they still sell the frozen ones.

and yes, agree with kurt, Wholefoods is by far the most ridiculously overrated and overpriced stores in Manhattan (and apparently elsewhere).

I'm all about www.freshdirect.com. I shop online and my goods are delivered within 24 hours in a 2 hour timeframe of my choice. All the goods are fresh and delish and hey, I don't have to lug any bags up 4 flights to my apt. love it!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! The next time I have bacon, I will stand up in my car and hold it high. Take that, Whole Foods!

P.S., I like your blog.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. Whole Foods is strange for me, it's a place I hate not so much for anything they themselves do but rather because of the obnoxiousness of their clientele. I know a lot of nice people shop there, but overall there are so many pretentious douches that feel a sense of innate superiority simply because they shop at "socially conscious" Whole Foods. Ugh. Hate bourgeous bohemians.

On a side note, Red Lobsters have become SO ghetto nowadays. If you haven't been to one lately, don't go to any in the northeast. Your childhood memories will be crushed.

3:44 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

kurt - you're right, they ARE expensive...i try to support my local neighborhood grocery store whenever possible...ok, their prices aren't as great as the big giant groceries on every corner, but if i want to buy diet coke at the advertised price, I don't have to dig through my wallet for another ridiculous discount card ("ridiculous" meaning at last count, I have no less than 6 of them taking up wallet space?)

z - dang! freshdirect is an NYC phenomenon...don't have them waaaaay over here in seattle or I'd be looking into that...i'm stuck lugging!

greg - thanks! (watch it on that standing-while-driving bit...can't muster a visual image of that ordeal that doesn't end up with your brains splattered all over the pavement...)

t - ditto on those pretentious douches...(pretentious douchehood (douchedom? douche-itis?) is an EPIDEMIC these days).

i have a feeling the red lobsters in the northwest are just as skeezy as you say...my sister and I were there a few years ago when they were advertising something like 120 shrimp for $3.99!!!!!!!!!!!!! and didn't have as much of a problem with the restaurant itself as with the other people eating there.

star wars bar, basically.

horrifying.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home