<

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

reasons seattle's okay

Seems most of the blogs I regularly read these days come outta NYC. And good for 'em. I like to think I could hack it in most cities if push came to shove, but that's basically a lie...I'm west coast-ish. I'm suburban. I'm not good with public transportation. I like generic chain restaurants. I shop at...malls.

West-coast-ish as I may be, I'm not crazy about living in Seattle...I've lived here long enough not to appreciate whatever it is the newcomers appreciate. The weather is - yep - RAINY and horrible most of the year. People tend to be clique-ish, politically correct, passive-aggressive. They drive miserably. Too many of them own boats that they too seldomly use.

That said, I have to appreciate a few things about this town:

  • I can wear whatever shoes I want. This is the home of "socks with sandals" and while I may have ridden that wave ten or fifteen years ago, I generally choose to conform to fashionable footwear standards. But if I wanted to, I could wear the "LATEST, HOTTEST AQUATIC-HYBRID SHOE FROM REI!" with pride, knowing there were at least a few thousand others out there sportin the same. I could wear something from my high school Doc Marten collection and no one would look at me sideways.
  • I don't have to worry about which place is this week's "hot spot" because...um...there aren't any. In a land of Microsoft money and Starbucks, the comings and goings of clubs and restaurants are few and far between. There are steadfast local mainstays where the food really is the point (think stuffy steakhouses where the "boat people" go for a ciroc martini after taking their in-laws out on the yacht to oogle the pieces of Bill Gates' pad visible from the lake). There are pizza joints, but the places with VIP lists and 4-hour long waits at the door are the breakfast spots serving the best "organic biscuits and shade-grown coffee."
  • "Dress Code Strictly Enforced" means that I'm A-OK with a bright pink bra hanging out of my wife-beater and a trucker hat on my head. I kid not. I remember a club opening up a few years ago that called itself "Seattle's only Vegas-Style Niteclub...dress to impess, ladies!" Checked the place out...must have been five or six girls with pink bras, itty bitty stretched-out tank tops and trucker hats. Strictly. Enforced.
  • Dick's Cheeseburgers. Not the deluxe, they over-do the runny sauce-relish stuff, but a nice strawberry milkshake and a plain old cheeseburger are tasty and cheap...leaving me with plenty of cash in my wallet for shoes from REI!
  • The VonDutch trend came and went and we survived obliviously unscathed.
  • If I know someone that knows someone that works at Microsoft, I can get cheap software at the company store.
  • If I know someone that knows someone that works at Microsoft, I can get cheap xbox games at the company store (came in handy a few times for Christmas presents).
  • If I know someone that knows someone that works at Microsoft, I can get Nalgene bottles that say "MICROSOFT!" at the company store.
  • While I can't afford to buy a house here yet, I CAN afford to pay my rent and still have plenty of cash in my wallet for shoes from REI!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a west-coaster too. I noticed the NY blog trend too. I go to school near Manhattan and when I come back to Seattle for breaks, I am always struck with how gorgeous it is here. Yeah it rains, but rarely in the raindrops-the-size-of-my-fist kind of way, and we have TREES. They don't have trees anywhere in so many other places. And mountains!!! It's gorgeous (it helps when it's sunny).

2:42 AM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

I live right on lake wa, and you're right, in the summer, it's beautiful...trees and grass and birds and flowers and mountains with snow...it's the OTHER nine months of the year I have trouble with!

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah but the other 9 months in places like New York are just as bad: New York gets rain that floods the streets, the winters are unbearably cold (seriously, 4 layers of sweaters cold), and the summer is humid in a disgusting way.

Though I know it's not pleasant with all the dreary rain.

9:16 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

Which is why I'm dreaming of Northern Arizona...ahhhhhh. Went to college in San Diego and got ridiculously spoiled there, too - mild and sunny...I'm a fiend for the sunshine!!!!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fellow Seattelite, and found your blog from a comment you posted on The Daily Dump (My FAVORITE blog); I know what you mean about the dress code here. My husband is from the East Coast, they came out here for my graduation from law school, looking like they were going to dine with the Queen of England. They were sooooo overdressed among the cut-offs and tank tops (Yep, at a law school graduation) then somehow it ended up being MY fault that they overdressed!!!
V of F

3:28 AM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

Had an IDENTICAL situation at my own graduation! grandmother (midwest type) showed up in a fancy-as-all-get-out white, quilted, silk skirt suit and matching satin pumps...man did she feel outta place in a sea of jeans and flip flops!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to NY tomorrow morning... I'm not sure if I actually want to try to fit in, or if I should just forget it (I probably wouldn't anyway) and wear my Chacos.

9:28 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

Chacos! My fiance's FAVORITE - by the end of the summer, he'll have tan lines from them practically tattoo'd on his feet...

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey now...i'm not used to nybashing. :)

i love my city and always feel like a fish out of water when i visit elsewhere.

even visiting my father and stepmother in suburban connecticut i get the "i can't believe you wore heels" or visiting my brother out in the Hamptons I get "do you own anything other than black?".

my answers: 1. when have you ever not seen me in heels in the past ten years and 2. I do, but more than half my closet is black. it's easier - everything matches and makes you look slimmer. :)

I think I should visit seattle just to see with these REI's are all about...

4:07 AM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

REI's...they're havens for the bicycling, kayaking, camping, climbing set...big time socks-with-sandals people impressed by clothing labels advertising stuff like "wicks moisture from the body!" and other creepy things like that. I don't count myself among 'em...but

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's also:
Uwajimaya
Salumi
Tamarind Tree
Great sushi
Gasworks Park
Naked bicyclists

9:00 AM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

Naked bicyclists, yes!!! I work in Fremont, right behind the Solstice Parade headquarters, actually...

And there's no better place in the country to get Sushi as far as I'm concerned...Wasabi Bistro's probably my favorite right now...

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home