<

Saturday, May 20, 2006

ahh, Captain von Trapp...

Got a pesky bit of "The Sound of Music" stuck in my head this afternoon - "How do you solve a problem like Maria" came out of nowhere and absolutely broadsided me...the same verse, of course, over...and over...and over:

"She'd outpester any pest
Drive a hornet from its nest
She could throw a whirling dervish out of whirl
She is gentle! She is wild!
She's a riddle! She's a child!
She's a headache!
She's an angel!
She's a guhlllllllllllll!"

At any rate, the only way to get the tune outta my head was to dig out the 40th anniversary edition dvd and watch the pretty nuns sing the rest of the verses.

And then, there he is...

Captain von Trapp.

I think I actually swoon over the good Captain. So buttoned up and presentable. So straight-laced. So smug. So dashing. So crisp. So well-coifed, well-dressed, well-shaven. So trim and precise and starched..with that honey-smooth voice. And...shrill whistle. And strange child-rearing practices (but clearly, so virile...8 children, was it? my my my).

His transformation over the course of the movie is so subtle, I pretty much can't help falling in love with the Captain right along with Maria...I want to serenade him in the gazebo...snuggle up against those perfect lapels...

Ah, Captain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home