<

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

file under: "unusual grooming habits."


This girl does not shampoo her hair:

Neither does this girl:

Or this girl


Or this girl



They're responding to the "BBC NEWS PRESENTER CHALLENGE" (as I'll call it). A BBC guy named Andrew Marr decided that the human scalp is distressed from the detergents in shampoo and instead trusts the oils in his skin to keep his hair in a state of...BIOLOGICAL EQUILIBRIUM (as I'll call it). A handful of women decided to give it a shot right along with Andy.

Here's the thing:

I am not disgusted by this.

I visited Amsterdam as a teenager and the first thing the Dutch scoffed at (aside from the fact that we failed to appreciate the true artisan nature of their fresh bread and ruined it by "using up" all of their meat and cheese in typically overindulgent style) was our "American" grooming habits. More specifically, our "wash our hair every day" compulsion.

In a similarly European style, most of the women responding to The CHALLENGE indicated that, Pre-Challenge, they shampooed every several days at most.

They're permitted to rinse their hair as much as they like, but no shampoo - theory holds that after a few weeks their scalp will equalize and they won't deal with the "greasy on top, frizzy at the bottom" phenomenon that MOST women experience after a Survivor-esque sprint without the lather-rinse-repeat ritual because the scalp isn't trying to compensate for being scrubbed clean and chemical-dry by over-producing that lovely grease. Mmmmmm.

Call me filthy, but basically: it works. Our Pantene'd, Biolage'd, Herbal Essence'd heads really AREN'T operating at maximum efficiency.

I won't mention how often I personally shampoo, but let's just leave it at: I look just like every other girl on the street - no greasier - and it's my "dirty" little secret.

I'd just look hotter on "Survivor" than the chicks still trying to overcome the addictive stranglehold that Suave shampoo has on their poor heads!

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's interesting, to avoid frizzy hair, I shampoo every other day, and mine is short. It is always nicer looking the second day. I think you have stumbled upon something great here. Guys everywhere will be relieved that they have been doing the right thing all along. Thank You.

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best hair days are my "Day 4 Hair Days". I used to never confess to this behavior until a model friend of mine told me that it's a known secret in the industry. I am a now 2x / week washer (forgoing an activity like being-in-a-smoke-filled room or dunking my head in mud). Not sure I am ready to entirely give up the 'poo but using less harsh ones now.

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, you can tell that last girl doesn't shampoo her hair. Look how flat it is. Or maybe it's just the look on her face. She's pissed that she cought her boyfriend shampooing. Or worse, sleeping with a dirty shampooer.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you telling me that the beauty industry has convinced millions of women to buy products that they don't even need!?!

How unlike them.

:-)

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't shampoo my hair. Well, I rarely do. I have wavy hair so a little grease makes it look nice and not frizzy.

I once went to fancy salon for curly haired women only. My stylist had the most beautiful Boticelli curls I'd ever seen, and she told me she hadn't shampooed in 6 months.

Shampoo is a conspiracy!

4:04 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

Ah - I've got hair sisters afterall - mine's wavy & prone to frizz and once I ditched the shampoo the frizz (and the need for the straighteners and curling irons and weird sticky, stringy "smoothing" products that make your hair smoke when you blowdry) went out the door...

and it sounds like a corny line, but I've honestly had people - while I'm sitting in rush-hour traffic - roll down their windows and tell me "You've got great hair!"

little do they know.....

shampoo IS a conspiracy!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Heather, want to have a "how-long since-you-shampooed" off?

5:13 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

You're on!

Whaddaya think, do we need to start over from zero?

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about when your hair gets literally dirty though? Like when you go in the ocean? Or when you're in a burning building and it reeks of smoke? Or when you're walking down the streets of New York and someone spits in your hair and you're all, "Come on! I'm not scheduled to wash again for three weeks!"

7:51 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

Saltwater is actually a wavy-haired girl's best friend (er, should I say THIS wavy-haired girl's best friend...makes it lovely and curly)...

But you're right, i make exceptions for those times I get spit on, or when I do a headstand in a pile of something the dog left behind, or when I accidentally fall face-first into the punch bowl, OR when the office burns down around me. Yep, then I guess there's no way around it.

Hmmm...depends on just HOW smokey that building really was ;)

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I don't shampoo for a few days, my scalp gets really itchy. Now I'm just starting to think I must just be naturally gross if people can go months without shampooing and be fine.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not shampooing makes my hair sticky and smelly. I shampoo once a week and fight the frizzies with a dab of extra extra light olive oil. Now that I think about it, the oil might be responsible for the smell.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that only works for long hair. Also - there's the oils to deal with... if you can handle that, then you're good.

The pics look fine - I guess it works!

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another "trick of the trade" is to blow dry your roots a bit to get some volume if your hair isn't looking up to par sans washing.
~G

3:33 PM  
Blogger heatheradair said...

GOOD trick, G - I've done that myself: doesn't fry the ends, just gives ya a little lift...!

The best part: saves some serious cash on all of those hair care products...

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't shampooed in years.

Payj, did you go to Devachan? That's where I go and where I was inspired to ditch the shampoo. It just dries out curly hair anyway. All I need is some water, a little conditioner, and some vigorous scalp-rubbing, and my hair is as clean as people who shampoo, and it doesn't smell - even after being in a smoky place.

So yes, shampoo = conspiracy

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hairdresser swears by limited washings... as do many of my friends. And yes, it seems to work for almost all hair types. But unfortunately not for me. Fine, baby soft, straight hair will turn into an oil slick by the third day sans shampoo.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading through your archives and I'm down to the shampoo one! I think this is a great idea. I shampoo every other day but this is really brilliant. Just rinsing; who woulda thunk it?

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home